Easy Easter Baking – Bunny’s Garden Cake
We are hosting Easter Dinner at our house this year and I wanted to make a yummy and cute dessert option. Our family has a variety of consumers, ominvores, carnivores, and vegans. Here is a yummy easy Easter baking idea that is also pretty stinkin’ cute for the Easter Table, and the best part is all the family can enjoy it!
For the cake
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of water
2/3 canola oil
2 Tbs Vinegar
2tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup + 1 Tbs baking cocoa, sifted
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
For the icing
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1 cup of (vegan) butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 to 5b tbs coconut milk
25-30 minutes baking time
Chocolate for coating
Crushed Oreo cookies (We used fresh ginger snaps because they are vegan friendly)
Seven Simple Steps:
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Prep your Mason Jars for the oven by spraying the insides with cooking oil. This recipe will make 12 jars of cake.
- Using a large bowl, mix water, oil, sugar, vanilla and vinegar until blended properly.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients for the cake to add air. Once blended, slowly add to your first bowl. Make sure to beat batter until smooth.
- Divide the batter into the mason jars. Fill just under half of each jar. Recipe makes about 12 jars. Place jars evenly spaced out on a baking sheet and carefully place in the preheated oven. Bake about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick implanted in the middle is removed clean. Cool before moving to the next step.
- When preparing the frosting start by sifting the sugar and cocoa together in a bowl. In a separate larger bowl beat the vanilla and (vegan) butter until they are well blended. You want the butter to be very softened. Slowly add the sugar and cocoa mixture while alternating with the coconut milk till you reach the consistency you desire.
- For your carrot topping start by washing and drying your strawberries. Do not remove the leaves. For a non-vegan coating use orange Candy Melt. For a vegan version look for vegan white chocolate and orange colouring or just use regular vegan chocolate. Melt the chocolate in a bowl and dip the strawberries in the chocolate. Place chocolate covered strawberries on a wax lined tray and place in the fridge to harden. I also drizzled the covered strawberries with the same coating to give it that extra special touch.
- Take your mason jar filled with cake, making sure that jars and cakes are now cool to the touch, and put icing on the top. Sprinkle Oreo cookie crumbs over each cake jar for your dirt and then, the special final touch, add in your carrots (chocolate covered strawberries) right on the top! Delicious Easter Bunny Garden Dessert your whole family can enjoy!
Please do share your photos on our Facebook Page so we can see your awesome yummy creations!
Happy Easter and God bless,
Written By Elaine Tan Comeau, Mom of Three, Wife, Keynote Speaker, Award Winning Entrepreneur and Educator, Creator of Easy Daysies® Magnetic Schedules for Kids, #1 Best Selling Author, Dragons’ Den Winner and 2014 Canadian Mompreneur of the Year www.EasyDaysies.com, Mompreneurs® – Vancouver Chapter Owner, and Podcast Host for http://www.elaineskitchentable.com/iTunes